Sunday, September 7, 2014

Freedom, Hard Work, Dependancy


 
 
Yesterday at work a young somewhat naive girl grabbed chocolate from a little canister we have at work. I don't put chocolate in there, but a few guys at work do. I have no idea why they do this, probably public relations. As she was grabbing the chocolates she said we should bring in celery sticks for her. Of course I said, something smart assed about how I should simply go grocery shopping for her, perhaps she could bring her list in for me.

She was joking and so was I but we were both only partially joking.


It is strange to me how people will complain about free things. I recently read this article on line: http://news.yahoo.com/ny-homeless-angry-china-tycoon-publicity-stunt-042623463.htm

 
I have fed the homeless morning after morning in Elgin, IL. I did that at a time I was working two full time jobs supporting a young family and waking up at 5am to feed the homless. Working 40 hours a week four days a week at one job and 40 hours a week 3 days a week at the other job. Many of the folks there would actually complain about food I would have been happy to eat.


Here in Savannah I befriended a homeless man who would clean my car once a month and I paid him as if I had taken my car to a detail shop. We exchanged phone numbers to make it easier to stay in contact and soon he found where I lived and was at my door a few times. He started calling every few days for money, he would try to manipulate my feelings telling me sad stories about needing money for Mother's Day and other events. Finally I had to cut him off. If it were up to him he'd be my dependant.

 
The last time I employed him to clean my car he stole a bottle of wine and most of a 20oz cup I had filled with change.  He has never been employed by me again.  Everyday I see the same homeless people asking me for money.  They have arms, most of them have legs and they all have enough mental capacity to ask for money and give you several reasons they need the money.  They all have imagination.  This leads me to believe that they can work for food.

 
I have seen this in other areas of life also. The way that people want the government to save them with laws, rules, regulations, social security, medical care etc. We have begged for exactly where we are politically, socially and mentally in our society.


I asked my friend Jedd Hafer to comment on these attitudes being that he is an expert on the human psyche.  Here is his response:


This brings to mind 2 types of free.

 I think that entitled attitude you see so often from homeless people, etc. is a defensive, prideful response - not good kind of pride, but that false pride. That ego-defense, sinful pride. I see it often: “I am the spoiled child who does nothing for myself, contributes nothing and start to feel crappy about myself. I resent and the only target for my resentment is the parent who gives me everything and spends every second trying to keep me happy.” No contribution = no self-efficacy. I hate myself and I take it out on you (like your homeless 'friend'). Jim Fay of Love and Logic calls this ‘Hostile Dependence’.

 

The other 'free' you invoke in what you wrote is really the freedom of personal responsibility. We are really free when we refuse to be victims. When we own our own outcomes. 

Incidentally, this is why political opportunists drive me nuts. They always seeks to identify a victim (and thereby identify a villain - such as 'business'). I’m looking at you, Jesse Jackson (but not because I care about personal responsibility, simply because I’m racist).

 

People who think the government can create Utopia miss the importance of personal responsibility. There is no merit, hard work; winners & losers. There is a forced or contrived equality of outcome. We're not supposed to have the same outcomes - maybe the same opportunities. But I hate that mythical fairness crap. You can't equalize and make everything fair. Affirmative Action makes things worse. Jesse Jackson is the devil. That's my point. :)

 

Seriously, people who go through life looking for ways they can feel oppressed are miserable.

You could sit & feel sorry for yourself if you wanted. You could go after the pity and the secondary gain of being a victim. But you (freely) choose not to. You choose instead to overcome.

 

The overcomer - that person is free because he doesn't rely on others to succeed, be happy or be rescued by the government.

Even God, who really does rescue us tells us to be overcomers. To be more than conquerors. He didn't make or save us to be defeated, victim-y wusses.

 

In short, the freedom to choose your destiny and live with the results of your efforts and choices – that’s real freedom. The freedom to be taken care of by somebody else – that’ s too much like slavery. Be your own person and don’t be anybody’s victim. Then, you will be free.

Jedd Hafer
July, 2014

-Live Passionately, Live Aggressively
-Matt Dragon

No comments:

Post a Comment