Thursday, August 22, 2013

What Defines Me?



Yesterday I shared something on Facebook that had some good information on it.  I didn't agree with everything and so I should not have shared it.

Why?  I personally read a lot of things I don't agree with 100% and I'm able to take the good and discard the useless.  When I share something people will automatically assume I agree 100%.  Lesson learned.

I didn't even think about it but two friends of mine made comments about some of the false attributions on that share.  I appreciate those friends, I call very few people friend.  I have many associates, I have many buddies, but few friends.  Know the difference, as a society we do not.

This morning I decided to write a list.  +james altucher writes about making lists.  I don't agree with everything James writes about but he will help you stretch your mind and I hold that highly.  I don't keep a journal, but I blog and write lists and they are something of a journal.  My list was to be 10 things I live by.  Things I would tell my kids.

I'm constantly learning, I created my own map to success with the help of many people along the way.  My parents where in no way mentors.  No one left me a legacy.  I'm making a legacy for my kids.  With that said, my list might change but right now these are some of the things I believe and live by.  If my mind is changed it isn't easily changed because I've come to these truths through blood, sweat, tears, heart ache, triumph and living life.

I was once told that I'm not open minded. My response was, that is not true, but I know few people with my outlook, most people's thoughts can be heard on any news station in the U.S.  My truths have come from ancient documents, living life, measuring my actions and the results of those actions.  My truths were paid for with success and failure, my truths came at great personal cost.  My mind can be changed, but it takes more than a Monday Morning Quarterback to change my mind.

Two names you can find on the web who are trustworthy are +Jedd Hafer and +John Davies if you don't have a mentor start following them.  I call them friend.

Here is a list I made:

Truth is more important that being nice

Have integrity

All of your actions affect someone else

Take responsibility for your current situation

I can only control me

I'm accountable to God

Parenting requires tough love

Purposeful action, adjust as needed

If you are bored you are not living and you are boring

Health is simple not easy

Solely seeking pleasure is a fast way to being unhappy and being worthless

We all have blind spots, seek friends who give wise counsel

Mentor and be mentored, some of my mentors are dead guys who wrote books

If your parents were not good examples you can still be honorable, making a new map is difficult but worth the effort

If you fall you have not failed, if you stop doing you have failed

Leave a legacy

Your name is on your action, what do you stand for?

Be a lifelong learner

Seek spiritual, mental, and physical health

Be willing to stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment