Sunday, May 18, 2014

New Adventures, Learning Spanish



I've got a new adventure in mind.  I'm going to speak vaguely about this fiery idea I have because I feel it best to keep under wraps for now.  This new adventure has me learning Spanish in earnest now.  I've always wanted to learn a language and have not been successful so far.  What makes me think I can do it now?

I'm taking a different approach.  I'm watching Spanish shows on youtube.  I'm using Fluenz software.  I've never watched Spanish shows with the intent of learning to hear spanish.  My new approach is to learn to hear the language, to get a base of words, to use the software, to begin to use what I know.

How can a person learn to speak a language that they can not yet hear?  Ever watch a classroom taught foreign speaker try to speak with a native speaker?  The native speaker has to slow down.  If we learned to hear the nuances, the enunciations, the rhythm I think we'd see less of that need to slow down.  By base words I mean 20 to 100 words that are objects or actions.  I will start to use those words.  By practicing with the software, watching speakers, practicing on my own and hopefully talking to Spanish friends I can do this.

Anyone know how to monetize an epic trip that could actually help a lot of people?  I emailed Outside magazine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment