Saturday, April 19, 2014

Brilliant Minds, Lists, Imagination


 

Albert Einstein believed imagination to be the most important aspect of the mind.  Einstein thought that after a certain amount of education one should not read other people's work, but should think up and write their own work.  We know Einstein became known as one of the greatest minds in history.

 

James Altucher in Choose Yourself wrote one way to open your imagination is by writing lists.  Everyday write a list of 10 things, make them detailed enough to be able to act on.  It opens your imagination and helps you to think of new possibilities.  Sometimes you are really predictable and boring, but it is still working.  Give it time.  I really like to reduce stress before writing my lists by either meditating or self medicating.  Meditating is probably better, but I’m of age.  Was it Ernest Hemmingway who said write drunk edit sober?  How did he ever edit?

 

Being one who will simply try things for the sake of experimentation and being that I still read other people’s stuff, I decided I'd just sit down every day, think of a problem I have and write 10 ways to solve that problem.  The ideas are allowed to be crazy but they must have a starting point.  I concern myself with the idea first, the follow up later.  After putting down a “crazy idea” I’ll brainstorm ways to go about implementing that idea.  I'd also write enough detail to get started on every item on the list. , maybe 1 to 3 sentences.

 

Most of these ideas never leave my notebook.  A few ideas become projects or new ways of doing things.  The biggest benefit might be that I’m actively looking for ways to solve problems.  Actively brainstorming solutions gives the feeling of power and helps me move forward with more confidence.  My imagination is working.  I wonder, would Einstein would be impressed.  Probably not, but I’m sure my Grandfathers would be tickled.

 

Some List Examples:

10 Ways to Get Closer to My Kids

10 Ways to Become Financially Free

10 Companies to Start

10 Books To Write

10 Things To Do on a Date

10 Ways to Bless People

10 Places I'd Love to Visit Overseas/In the U.S.

10 Ways to be Healthier

10 Ways to Enjoy Life More

10 Ways to Less Stress

10 Things to Do on a Day Off

10 Things to Do on a Work Day to Make it Feel Like a Day Off

10 Ways to Feel Amazing

10 Ways to Be a Great Friend

10 Ways to Like Myself More

10 Ways to Help More People

10 Things I'm Thankful For

10 Most Influential People From the Past

10 Most Influential People Currently

10 Best Books I've Read

10 Best Memories

10 Best Places I've Been

10 Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment